Prosciutto, Gorgonzola and Fig Flatbread with Balsamic Reduction
Pairs with 2009 Syrah
4 slices Prosciutto, torn into pieces
1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
4 large fresh figs, quartered and then sliced into fourths
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar Directions
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and set oven rack on lowest level.
- On a lightly floured surface, quarter the dough. Keep one quarter on the board and place the remaining dough back into the refrigerator.
- Allow pizza dough to come to room temperature for 30 minutes before rolling.
- Cut the dough in half, setting one piece aside.
- Roll the dough into a thin, narrow rectangle, approximately 4-inches x 12 inches and 1/4-inch in thickness.
- Place dough on baking sheet, lightly brush with olive oil and liberally prick it with a fork.
- Place in the oven for about 4-5 minutes. Remove.
- Scatter Prosciutto, Gorgonzola cheese and figs over partially cooked flat bread.
- Bake for about 5 minutes, or until the flat bread begins to brown along the edges.
- Meanwhile, place balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in a small saucepan set over medium high heat until it reduces by half, about 5 minutes but watch it - saucepan size matters here.
- When flat bread is done, remove from sheet pan and place on serving board or platter, scatter fresh arugula over the top, drizzle with balsamic reduction, slice and serve.
- Repeat process with the remaining dough.